Premium NZ Horse Minerals
*Our old labels are being replaced by our fresh new look. There may still be product with the old label as we replace our label stocks - rest assured, this does not mean the product is old.
The highest spec, most comprehensive blend of Vitamins & Minerals made in New-Zealand. Where appropriate minerals are present in their organic, chelated, bio-available forms. Premium is a fine powder with a light apple flavour.
No Banned Substances
Formulated especially to suit our NZ conditions, they are based on information gathered from conducting forage tests plus feedback from a growing number of happy horse owners achieving their desired result: calm, healthy horses.
Perfect for keeping your horses in optimal health no matter what you are doing, from Trekking to Pony Club, Racing, Showing, Dressage, Endurance. Ideal for pregnant mares, breeding stallions and growing horses.
Being so rich in organic minerals ensures their effectiveness. This puts your mind at ease that your horse isn't either missing out or doubling up.
The dose rate is 15gms per 100kgs.
For minis weighing 120kgs that is only 20gms or 1/3 scoop enclosed.
Premium NZ Horse Minerals contains :
- excellent levels of chelated copper and zinc in the correct ratios, suitable to offset iron intake.
(Link to Iron for Thought article)
- ALL major anti-oxidants, Vitamins A,C,E & Selenium, ALL the Vitamins A, C, D, E & K and ALL the B Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9, B12, including folic acid and biotin to complement the plain, economical feeds of a simple diet (Link to What to Feed)
- The form of Selenium in Premium is 100% organic. Feeding the correct dose for your horse’s weight will deliver just the right amount to maintain optimal selenium levels.
We recommend feeding Premium alongside plain feeds which do not contain additional selenium. Check Back Labels of all feeds to ensure you are not inadvertently over-dosing your horse.
Ideally have your veterinarian take a blood sample annually to check your horse’s levels (when he is at your property for whatever reason).
Non-Sel Premium is available for those people whose horses need to drop levels. This process takes 3-4 months.
Modern-day horse-keeping deprives horses of the ability to roam vast areas, grazing and browsing a wide variety of plants from which they would normally derive minerals. Feeding Premium NZ Horse Minerals on a daily basis delivers these essential nutrients thus compensating for this otherwise, serious disadvantage of being confined behind fences.
Formulated to be fed daily according to weight of the animal, the blend is suitable for ALL horses, ponies and donkeys, for all breeds and ages.
Premium maintains optimal health for horses participating in all disciplines, from Trekking to Pony Club, Racing, Showing, Dressage, Jumping and Endurance. (Premium contains no banned substances)
Also ideal for - pregnant and lactating mares, breeding stallions
- Weanlings, youngsters and elderly horses.
- Economical: Adding Premium NZ Horse Minerals to plain feeds like chaffs, beets, oats & barley is an economical way to feed your horse.
- Accuracy: When feeding pre-mixed feeds which already contain vitamins & minerals, then you need to feed the exact amount recommended on the back of the bag, for the weight and workload, otherwise your horse will not be getting enough of the critical nutrients like copper, zinc & selenium.
- No doubling up: If you are feeding several different products which contain vitamins & minerals then it becomes a 'hodge-podge', there will be some inevitable doubling up and you are liable to overdose minerals like selenium and cause toxicity issues.
- Many people report that their horses movement improves after feeding the Premium NZ Horse Minerals for a couple of months. They seem to loosen up - this is because there are multiple causes for 'stiffness' and inflexibility besides arthritis.
- Feeds the WHOLE horse: When you make the shift to the high fibre diet incorporating Premium NZ Minerals you will be amazed at the improvements in many aspects of your horse's overall health, coat colour, hoof quality, movement and behaviour. No more need for products targeted at one part of the horse like the hooves. The difference in hoof quality is often spectacular.
- Increased resilience: Keeping your horse well-nourished reduces susceptibility to many frustrating conditions such as mud-fever, sunburn, abcesses, sarcoids, and viruses.
The term ‘organic’ when applied to minerals, doesn't mean 'made without sprays'. It means the mineral is already attached to an amino acid and therefore is ready for immediate absorption.
This doesn't insinuate that inorganic forms of minerals are 'bad'. Some inorganic forms are beneficial too for certain metabolic processes.
Vicky Hansen and Simba
Premium NZ Horse Minerals contains ALL major anti-oxidants, Vitamins A,C,E & Selenium, ALL the Vitamins A, C, D, E & K and ALL the B Vitamins B1,B2,B3,B5,B6,B7, B9, B12 to complement a plain, simple economical diet
Why do we include Vitamins in our formulas?
A calm, healthy horse can be handled and ridden safely and with enjoyment. Progress is made in lessons and clinics. They don't lose the plot at events or competitions. Trail rides become fun. If they do spook it is a normal, rideable one.
Persil Beaucoup pictured here at 29 is in superb condition thanks to Premium NZ Horse Minerals
Vitamins are just as important as minerals and interact with other nutrients to perform thousands of essential life processes.
A vitamin is an organic substance, present in minute amounts in natural food, that is essential to normal metabolism; Basically, your body needs vitamins in order to work properly, and it needs different vitamins to help perform specific activities like produce energy, protect cells from damage, guide mineral utilization, and regulate cell and tissue growth. If your horse doesn’t get enough of the vitamins it needs, it can lead to deficiencies and disease.
Take one example: Vitamin E which is abundant in fresh, green grass which many people cannot feed their horses enough of because they become grass-affected in some way, not to mention obese and laminitic. Since hay is not a great source of Vitamin E and it is not synthesized by the horse it is therefore an essential component of your Vitamin & Mineral supplement in order to maintain cell membrane integrity and maintain proper function of the reproductive, muscular, nervous, circulatory, and immune systems.
Lack of Vitamin E will cause muscle degeneration especially in foals, young horses, lactating mares and horses in intense work.
Similarly with Vitamin A which keeps tissues and skin healthy , which if deficient will cause problems with eyesight
Vitamins are either Fat soluble or water soluble
Fat-soluble vitamins are stored in the fat tissues of our bodies, as well as the liver. Fat-soluble vitamins are easier to store than water-soluble ones, and can stay in the body as reserves for days, some of them for months.
Vitamins A, D, E and K are fat-soluble and are absorbed through the intestinal tract with the help of fats.
Water-soluble vitamins do not get stored in the body for long - they soon get passed out urine and therefore need to be replaced more often than fat-soluble ones.
Vitamins C and all the B vitamins are water-soluble.
Whilst minerals like calcium, magnesium, copper and zinc have a shelf life of years, Vitamins do tend to degrade but only very slowly and since our Premium NZ Horse Minerals & Supreme Vit & Min (for Australian horses) are made fresh every month and are well packaged and stored your horse will get all the benefits.
Premium and Supreme contain ALL the Vitamins including ALL the B Vitamins, even Inositol (Vitamin B8)
Inositol benefits your horse in a number of ways: transporting fat, aiding the neurons in your central nervous system to make sure everything is running smoothly, and promoting strong, healthy hair and hooves.